Przejdź do głównej treści strony
Invest in Lubań

The first mention of a religious building on the slope of Kamienna Góra dates back to 1384. It was a small wooden church which was destroyed during the Hussite invasions. It was rebuilt in 1452 and served as a cemetery. There was a cemetery nearby, which was closed down without exhumation in the 1970s. The site is now a park. The oldest part of the cemetery at the church itself has been preserved.

From 1654 to the 1840s the church served as a refugee centre for Lutherans from Uniegoszcz and Radostów. During the plague the church served as a plague chapel.

In 1683, during a funeral service, the church tower was struck by a lightning, causing severe damage to its shell and killing one of the mourners.

Towards the end of the Second World War, the tower was shelled by Soviet artillery. A few years after the war, the damaged structure collapsed to the ground, and during the reconstruction the tower was significantly lowered by covering it with a slightly sloping metal roof.

Today the Church of the Virgin Mary in Luban is the parish church of the Evangelical-Augsburg parish in Lubań.

An interesting fact:
Pastor Pestilentiarus - In Lower Silesia there were only two Moravian parish priests, one of whom was in Luban. A priest was appointed for the duration of an epidemic. He administered the last anointing and buried the dead, usually catching the disease from them and dying himself. Epidemics did not spare Lubań . At critical times, when there was no room, the dead were laid out on benches in the church. In 1613 the priest and the gravedigger could not keep up with the burials.

Pliki audio

Nasza witryna wykorzystuje pliki cookies, m.in. w celach statystycznych. Jeżeli nie chcesz, by były one zapisywane na Twoim dysku zmień ustawienia swojej przeglądarki. Więcej na ten temat...